When I first became a health coach, my sweet childhood friend from West Virginia asked me if I would come up with a healthy version of Outback Steakhouse’s Spinach Artichoke Flatbread. I have never had it so I’m not sure how it compares but my family thinks this version is delicious! Try and use organic ingredients if possible – especially important for dairy, spinach and chicken.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
dash of crushed red pepper flakes, optional
6 oz fresh baby spinach, chopped
2 oz. cream cheese
¼ cup sour cream
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese + more for topping pizzas
1 can artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
½ teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste
¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
8 oz. cooked chicken breast, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 whole wheat tortillas (I used large Ezekiel sprouted wheat tortillas found in the freezer section) You can also use whole wheat pitas
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onion, garlic and red pepper flakes (if using) until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Stir in spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes or until just wilted then remove from heat.
4. Stir in cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese and artichoke hearts.
5. Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder and mix well.
6. Meanwhile cook tortillas on baking sheets for 2-3 minutes on each side until they crisp up slightly.
7. Spread each tortilla with ¼ of the spinach artichoke mixture and top each with chicken strips and ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese. You don’t need much cheese because it is already rich and creamy.
8. Put flatbreads back in the oven and bake for 3-5 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
9. Top with additional parmesan cheese if desired. Cut into wedges and serve. Enjoy!