Makes about 10 cups
This soup is so easy to make. The beans add some creaminess and also some protein. This is a very spicy (not hot spicy just lots of spices) version. I love to use spices because there are so many health benefits. Did you know that curcumin, which is found in turmeric, has natural anti-inflammatory properties and that cumin aids digestion and improves immunity? Feel free to use half the amounts of cumin, turmeric and paprika and add 1-2 tablespoons of honey if you want a sweeter version, especially if serving kids.
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 medium onion, rough chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated or finely minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
dash of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
1 medium butternut squash, cut into cubes (about 6 cups if using precut)
1½ cups cooked cannellini beans, (or 1 can, rinsed and drained)
4 cups organic broth*
1 cup water
Optional toppings: sour cream*, raw pumpkin seeds (pepitos), cilantro
1. Melt coconut oil in large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Cook onion for about 6-8 minutes or until tender.
3. Add garlic, ginger and spices and cook for one minute.
4. Add butternut squash, beans, broth water and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook about 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
5. Puree soup with an immersion blender or carefully transfer to a blender and and blend until smooth. Check seasoning and enjoy!
*I recommend using as many organic ingredients as possible but these are the ones that I think are most important.
-Please try and buy BPA free cans – I like Eden Organic brand