1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil + more for greasing pan
½ large onion, diced
½ large bell pepper, diced*
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups kale or spinach, chopped*
1¼ cup milk*
¾ teaspoon salt + more for salting vegetables
pepper, to taste
5 slices whole grain bread, cut into cubes
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese*
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onions, peppers and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Add in tomatoes and garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Stir in kale or spinach and cook for a few minutes or until wilted. Remove from heat and taste to check seasonings.
5. Whisk together eggs, milk, ¾ teaspoon salt and pepper.
6. Put vegetables in bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish that has a thin layer of olive oil or coconut oil on it.
7. Put bread cubes over vegetables and then sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly over top.
8. Pour egg mixture evenly over the veggies, bread and cheese.
9. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
10. The next day, preheat the oven to 350 and let casserole sit out while oven is preheating.
11. Bake for 40 minutes, covered and then add feta cheese to the top and bake 20 more minutes uncovered.
12. Broil for a few minutes if desired to brown top a little. Watch closely! Enjoy!
*I recommend using as many organic ingredients as possible but these are the ones that I think are most important.