This soup thickens as it sits. If needed, add a little more water or broth.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped*
1 large carrot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups vegetable broth* (32 oz. carton)
2 cups water
2 cups diced tomatoes, preferably from a carton or glass jar, with juices
1 cup dry quinoa
1 cup frozen corn*
1 cup frozen peas
Optional Toppings: chopped cilantro, diced avocado, crumbled feta
1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Cook onion, red pepper and carrot until crisp tender, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Add garlic and spices and cook another minute or so.
4. Add broth, water and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add quinoa, stir and turn heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until quinoa is done.
6. Add corn and peas and cook another 5 minutes.
7. Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
8. Divide into 6 bowls and serve topped with toppings, if desired.
*I recommend using as many organic ingredients as possible but these are the ones that I think are most important.